I’m Tim Stewart. I got my B.S. in Computer Science last year, and I’m currently looking for work as a junior software engineer.
Timbo’s “Hacker News” Reader (thnr.net, about page, GH repo) is my current showcase project. The backend ingests story feeds from the well-known Hacker News via API and uses Selenium and
requeststo surface additional metadata (such as a thumbnail image, the name of the article’s author, and the article’s estimated reading time) from the linked articles. The program is multithreaded to process articles and pages in parallel using
Tech stack: Python, Selenium + chromedriver, Beautiful Soup, requests, boto3 (AWS S3), wand (ImageMagick binding).
Hayfevr.ly (blog post, repo to come) scrapes the web pages of six local allergy clinics and news stations for pollen count data using Selenium.
Tech stack: Python, Selenium + chromedriver, Beautiful Soup, requests, boto3 (AWS S3), Python-tesseract (pytesseract), MySQL.
Demo URL shortener using FastAPI (blog post, GH repo). This REST API also provides a secret administrative key that can be used to check stats on the short URL’s usage and delete the short code if desired.
Tech stack: Python, FastAPI, SlowApi (rate limiter), SQLite3.
My other favorite project used machine learning on thousands of Wikipedia articles and made the results searchable using point clouds as well as a trie-based search feature (GH repo, term paper). (My term paper explaining how I developed the project is in the repo too.)
Tech stack: Python, keras, matplotlib, numpy, pandas.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Very good at working with people to elicit needs, manage expectations, maintain relationships
- Fast learner; committed and conscientious worker; team player
B.S. Computer Science, Western Governors University, 2022
AWS CLF-C01 (Cloud Computing Practitioner), expires 12/5/2025. (Val. num.: TTN4JWJ1QBR4QGSH)
Relevant Work Experience
BrightLeaf Group (consulting agency)
Technical Editor. July 2022–present. (part-time contractor)
- Edit highly technical 200-page ISO-compliant technology standards and microchip specifications for grammar, clarity, bias, and technical precision.
- Consistently meet tight deadlines while exceeding customers’ expectations.
- Use industry-standard tools such as git (e.g., pull requests, GitHub Actions, Travis CI), bash scripts, Subversion, and Markdown.
O’Reilly Media (tech book publisher).
Proofreader. December 2022–June 2023. (part-time contractor)
- Proofread and edited upcoming technology books for grammar, clarity, tone, bias, and adherence to publisher’s formatting standards.
- Key titles for which I am credited as proofreader include: PHP Cookbook by Eric A. Mann (2023) ISBN 978-1098121327, The Enterprise Data Catalog by Ole Olesen-Bagneux (2023) ISBN 978-1492098713, Practical Linux System Administration by Ken Hess (2023) ISBN 978-1098109035.